Monday, March 9, 2015

Learning Lessons from Fast Friendships

A Dutch girl. An Italian man. A German girl. A Finnish girl. A Swedish boy. And me. That’s just the breakdown of the people living in my apartment, let alone the many different nationalities of the people I’ve met within my Erasmus Student Network, affectionately known here at LUISS as ESN.
I never knew how popular studying abroad (in Europe called, going on exchange) is! Many of the students I’ve met from Lithuania and Holland are on their second, sometimes third exchange in their college careers. It’s amazing to me how they are able to simply leave everything behind from one school to another in the name of experiencing new cultures, classes and people wherever they go. Can you imagine missing Gamecock football or baseball three out of your four years at USC? I couldn’t.
It took me so long to figure out how these friends I’ve made can be so seemingly adventurous as they conquer one country after another. For one thing, the United States is almost two and a half times bigger than Europe itself. So for comparison’s sake, a Lithuanian student studying in Holland but going on an exchange in Italy is essentially equivalent to say, a student from New Jersey studying at the University of South Carolina and doing a semester in Washington, D.C.
So what’s the difference between being a New Jersey girl studying down in South Carolina and a European studying in another European country? Can you imagine travelling to North Carolina and having to change language, customs and sometimes currency? Imagine going to Florida for Spring Break and going through two entirely different cultures to get there. While I love the United States with all my heart, it seems sad that many of the students at USC won’t get to experience the culture change I’ve been able to here in Europe. The people I’ve met here have challenged my way of thinking, of my future plans and goals even.
Being one of the youngest students in ESN (most are here studying for a Master’s degree) it’s been so exciting to pick each person’s brain about their undergraduate studies and what they did after their first four years at university (uni). Some of these students have mastered between three and five languages, have already finished one Master’s degree and have seen more of the world than I’ve even dreamt about.
It’s absolutely inspiring to see the way these European students live. As an IB student, I never would have expected to learn just as much (if not more) from my fellow students than my professors. Some have worked directly for their country’s parliament (and no I don’t mean being a page at the State building). Some have been published in major economics and business magazines, held internships with major international business companies, all in the name of continuous learning. I only hope that in my few short months here I will be able to acquire some of their knowledge and bring back my experiences to USC.

Being abroad isn’t just about learning inside the classroom. It’s the people you meet and the places you visit and the challenges you encounter that have made this study abroad possibly the best semester I’ve ever had. I’ve been instilled with a sense of passion and wanderlust, to learn from not just my international professors, but my international friends. I can’t possibly put into words just how much I’ve learned about cultural awareness, the similarities and differences between Europe and America, but I can’t wait to discover even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment